• Investing
  • Stock
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Portfolio Performance Today
Economy

Iran signals nuclear progress in Geneva as Trump calls for full dismantlement

by February 18, 2026
by February 18, 2026

Negotiations between the United States and Iran advanced Tuesday toward what Tehran described as the beginning of a potential framework, but sharp public divisions between the two sides underscored how far apart they remain.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said the two sides reached a ‘general agreement on a number of guiding principles’ and agreed to begin drafting text for a possible agreement, with plans to exchange drafts and schedule a third round of talks. 

‘Good progress was made compared to the previous meeting,’ he said, adding that while drafting would slow the process, ‘at least the path has started.’

Yet Washington publicly has insisted that any agreement must result in the dismantling of Iran’s nuclear program — including its enrichment capacity — along with limits on Tehran’s ballistic missile program and an end to its support for allied militant groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah. Those demands go well beyond temporary enrichment pauses or technical adjustments.

Iran Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei appeared to push back directly against that premise, signaling a firm ceiling on Iran’s concessions. 

‘The Americans say, ‘Let’s negotiate over your nuclear energy, and the result of the negotiation is supposed to be that you do not have this energy!’’ he wrote on social media as talks were underway. ‘If that’s the case, there is no room for negotiation.’

Khamenei’s remarks suggest that while Iranian negotiators may be discussing limits or interim measures, Iran is unlikely to accept an agreement that eliminates its nuclear program outright — setting up a direct collision with the Trump administration’s insistence on dismantlement.

‘Progress was made, but there are still a lot of details to discuss,’ according to a U.S. official. ‘The Iranians said they would come back in the next two weeks with detailed proposals to address some of the open gaps in our positions.’

President Donald Trump said Monday he would be watching the talks closely.

The mistrust runs deep. 

Iranian officials have pointed to U.S. military strikes on their nuclear facilities in June 2025 as part of the broader backdrop complicating diplomacy, arguing such actions demonstrate Washington’s willingness to use force even as negotiations unfold.

Behind the diplomatic push, the United States has significantly expanded its military footprint in the region. The USS Abraham Lincoln is operating in the Arabian Sea, and F-35 fighter jets from the carrier shot down an Iranian Shahed-139 drone recently after it approached the strike group — a move U.S. officials described as demonstrating low tolerance for provocations.

The USS Gerald R. Ford, the Navy’s newest aircraft carrier, is now transiting toward the Middle East. President Trump confirmed the deployment on Feb. 13, saying, ‘In case we don’t make a deal, we’ll need it.’ Reports indicate a third carrier, the USS George H.W. Bush, is being prepared for possible expedited deployment, which would create a rare three-carrier U.S. presence near Iranian waters.

The buildup extends beyond naval forces. A squadron of F-35A Lightning II aircraft landed at RAF Lakenheath in the United Kingdom earlier in February as a staging point for potential deployment to the Middle East, while satellite imagery shows additional U.S. aircraft — including F-15E Strike Eagles and A-10 Thunderbolts — positioned at Muwaffaq Salti Air Base in Jordan.

Logistics flights into the region have also surged. 

More than 100 C-17 cargo aircraft have arrived since late January, transporting advanced air defense systems, including Patriot and THAAD batteries, to bases in Qatar and Saudi Arabia, according to defense tracking data.

At the same time, Iran’s leadership has paired diplomatic engagement with forceful warnings. 

Khamenei said the United States could be ‘struck so hard that it cannot get up again,’ and a senior commander in Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy declared the country is prepared to close the Strait of Hormuz if ordered — a move that could disrupt roughly one-fifth of global oil flows through the strategic waterway.

Despite the heightened rhetoric and military signaling, Iranian officials said talks would continue, framing the Geneva discussions as a step toward a possible agreement — even as the fundamental dispute over dismantlement versus preservation of Iran’s nuclear capabilities remains unresolved.

Fox News’ Nick Kalman contributed to this report. 

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS

0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
Russia sentences American to 4 years for allegedly trying to take Kalashnikov rifle stocks: report
next post
Psaki joins Democrat push for Epstein files after ex-Biden spox rarely mentioned it from White House

Related Posts

ICE’s ‘Warrant’ Shortcut Violates the Constitution

February 18, 2026

Are Transfers Replacing Work for America’s Poor?

February 18, 2026

Psaki joins Democrat push for Epstein files after...

February 18, 2026

Russia sentences American to 4 years for allegedly...

February 18, 2026

Mark Kelly eyes 2028 White House run while...

February 18, 2026

House GOP’s razor-thin majority threatens to grind Trump’s...

February 18, 2026

Schumer, Dems’ goal is to ‘tie people down’...

February 18, 2026

How did Jeffrey Epstein get rich? Meet Les...

February 18, 2026

Inside world’s top science society’s convention bashing Trump,...

February 18, 2026

Mike Lee calls Schumer’s ‘Jim Crow 2.0’ attack...

February 18, 2026

Stay updated with the latest news, exclusive offers, and special promotions. Sign up now and be the first to know! As a member, you'll receive curated content, insider tips, and invitations to exclusive events. Don't miss out on being part of something special.

By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

Recent Posts

  • ICE’s ‘Warrant’ Shortcut Violates the Constitution

    February 18, 2026
  • Are Transfers Replacing Work for America’s Poor?

    February 18, 2026
  • Psaki joins Democrat push for Epstein files after ex-Biden spox rarely mentioned it from White House

    February 18, 2026
  • Iran signals nuclear progress in Geneva as Trump calls for full dismantlement

    February 18, 2026
  • Russia sentences American to 4 years for allegedly trying to take Kalashnikov rifle stocks: report

    February 18, 2026
  • House GOP’s razor-thin majority threatens to grind Trump’s Capitol Hill agenda to halt

    February 18, 2026

Editors’ Picks

  • 1

    Pop Mart reports 188% profit surge, plans aggressive global expansion

    March 26, 2025
  • 2

    New FBI leader Kash Patel tapped to run ATF as acting director

    February 23, 2025
  • 3

    Meta executives eligible for 200% salary bonus under new pay structure

    February 21, 2025
  • 4

    Anthropic’s newly released Claude 3.7 Sonnet can ‘think’ as long as the user wants before giving an answer

    February 25, 2025
  • 5

    Walmart earnings preview: What to expect before Thursday’s opening bell

    February 20, 2025
  • ‘The Value of Others’ Isn’t Especially Valuable

    April 17, 2025
  • 7

    Cramer reveals a sub-sector of technology that can withstand Trump tariffs

    March 1, 2025

Categories

  • Economy (4,181)
  • Editor's Pick (471)
  • Investing (543)
  • Stock (2,747)
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Copyright © 2025 Portfolioperformancetoday.com All Rights Reserved.

Portfolio Performance Today
  • Investing
  • Stock
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Portfolio Performance Today
  • Investing
  • Stock
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Copyright © 2025 Portfolioperformancetoday.com All Rights Reserved.

Read alsox

Resolution punishing Al Green clears Dem blockade,...

March 6, 2025

Trump says election results not good for...

November 6, 2025

‘New sheriff in town’: State finance leader...

May 8, 2025