• Investing
  • Stock
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Portfolio Performance Today
Economy

Trump admin fights in court to keep White House East Wing demolition, $300M ballroom build on track

by December 17, 2025
by December 17, 2025

Lawyers for the Trump administration and a historic preservation group are slated to appear in court Tuesday afternoon in a bid to halt — at least temporarily — President Donald Trump’s plan to continue building out a $300 million White House ballroom on the site of the now-demolished East Wing. 

‘No president is legally allowed to tear down portions of the White House without any review whatsoever — not President Trump, not President Biden, and not anyone else,’ the National Trust said in its lawsuit, filed late last week with U.S. District Judge Richard Leon.

The group argued that Trump’s project has already caused ‘irreversible damage’ to the White House, and asked Leon to grant both a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction to block the Trump administration from commencing or continuing further work on the ballroom project until the necessary federal commissions have reviewed and approved the plans.

The suit alleges violations of multiple statutes, including the Administrative Procedure Act and the National Environmental Policy Act, and says the ballroom cannot move forward without authorization from Congress, the National Capital Planning Commission and the Commission of Fine Arts. Trump fired all six members of the CFA in October; the panel remains vacant.

Meanwhile, lawyers for the Justice Department argued in a separate filing on Monday that Trump does have the statutory authority to modify the structure as president.

‘The President possesses statutory authority to modify the structure of his residence, and that authority is supported by background principles of Executive power,’ the Justice Department told the court on Monday in a separate filing. 

They cited Trump’s personal involvement in the project, and noted that he has regularly taken part in meetings and discussions ‘regarding design and footprint and personally selecting the architect for the project,’ among other things. 

Lawyers for the Trump administration also argued that abruptly halting construction on the project would create ‘security concerns’ at the White House, an argument it is expected to seize on further during Tuesday afternoon’s hearing. 

They also included a declaration from Secret Service deputy director Matthew Quinn that said improvements to the site ‘are still needed before the Secret Service’s safety and security requirements can be met.’

‘Any pause in construction, even temporarily, would leave the contractor’s obligation unfulfilled in this regard and consequently hamper the Secret Service’s ability to meet its statutory obligations and protective mission.’

Trump in July first announced his plans to proceed with constructing the sprawling, 90,000-square-foot ballroom, which he estimated at the time would cost around $200 million. Trump has insisted it will be funded ‘100% by me and some friends of mine.’

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS

0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
JD Vance brushes off Susie Wiles calling him conspiracy theorist in new Vanity Fair report
next post
Here’s why the Dow Jones Index is pulling back

Related Posts

Economic Data Revisions Show the Limits of Real-Time...

February 19, 2026

The Capitalism ‘Stranger Things’ Runs On — But...

February 19, 2026

Indebted to the Printing Press: Fiscal Dominance Is...

February 19, 2026

Rubio announces designation for Nicaraguan prison official tied...

February 19, 2026

Trump convenes first ‘Board of Peace’ meeting as...

February 19, 2026

Trump marks Black History Month, announces Medal of...

February 19, 2026

Rubio holding secret talks with Raul Castro’s grandson...

February 19, 2026

Trump lauds ‘piece of work’ Jesse Jackson at...

February 19, 2026

Florida execs sentenced in $233M Obamacare fraud that...

February 19, 2026

Missile defense race shifts to space; experts say...

February 19, 2026

Stay updated with the latest news, exclusive offers, and special promotions. Sign up now and be the first to know! As a member, you'll receive curated content, insider tips, and invitations to exclusive events. Don't miss out on being part of something special.

By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

Recent Posts

  • Economic Data Revisions Show the Limits of Real-Time Measurement, Not Malfeasance

    February 19, 2026
  • The Capitalism ‘Stranger Things’ Runs On — But Pretends Not to Like

    February 19, 2026
  • Indebted to the Printing Press: Fiscal Dominance Is No Longer Theoretical

    February 19, 2026
  • Carrefour and Vusion to deploy smart stores at scale

    February 19, 2026
  • Rubio announces designation for Nicaraguan prison official tied to alleged human rights violations

    February 19, 2026
  • Trump convenes first ‘Board of Peace’ meeting as Gaza rebuild hinges on Hamas disarmament

    February 19, 2026

Editors’ Picks

  • 1

    Pop Mart reports 188% profit surge, plans aggressive global expansion

    March 26, 2025
  • 2

    New FBI leader Kash Patel tapped to run ATF as acting director

    February 23, 2025
  • 3

    Meta executives eligible for 200% salary bonus under new pay structure

    February 21, 2025
  • 4

    Anthropic’s newly released Claude 3.7 Sonnet can ‘think’ as long as the user wants before giving an answer

    February 25, 2025
  • 5

    Walmart earnings preview: What to expect before Thursday’s opening bell

    February 20, 2025
  • ‘The Value of Others’ Isn’t Especially Valuable

    April 17, 2025
  • 7

    Cramer reveals a sub-sector of technology that can withstand Trump tariffs

    March 1, 2025

Categories

  • Economy (4,195)
  • Editor's Pick (474)
  • Investing (543)
  • Stock (2,747)
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Copyright © 2025 Portfolioperformancetoday.com All Rights Reserved.

Portfolio Performance Today
  • Investing
  • Stock
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Portfolio Performance Today
  • Investing
  • Stock
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Copyright © 2025 Portfolioperformancetoday.com All Rights Reserved.

Read alsox

Regime Uncertainty: a Drag on the American...

December 26, 2025

Watchdog sounds alarm over potential noncitizen voting...

January 30, 2026

Are We Doomed to Repeat Economic History,...

August 29, 2025