• Investing
  • Stock
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Portfolio Performance Today
Economy

Judge warns Trump administration against ‘irreversible’ White House ballroom construction work

by December 17, 2025
by December 17, 2025

A federal judge on Tuesday said he was ‘inclined to deny’ a bid to force the Trump administration to halt construction of the White House ballroom but warned officials not to undertake any irreversible work before a January hearing that could still stop the project.

U.S. District Judge Richard Leon said he will hold another hearing during the second week in January and hinted he may still order a pause.

‘Any below ground construction’ in the coming weeks that dictates above-ground work should be avoided, Leon said, adding, ‘be prepared to take that down.’

Lawyers for the National Trust for Historic Preservation in the U.S. argued the case is not about the need for a ballroom but about the need to follow the law.

They said any construction on federal land requires congressional approval.

Lawyers representing the National Park Service countered that President Trump has authority to direct construction at the White House, saying ‘work must continue for national security issues.’

‘See you in January,’ Leon said as he warned the government not to pursue anything irreversible.

Attorney General Pam Bondi weighed in Tuesday evening.

‘Today @TheJusticeDept attorneys defeated an attempt to stop President Trump’s totally lawful East Wing Modernization and State Ballroom Project,’ she wrote on X. ‘President Trump has faced countless bad-faith left-wing legal attacks – this was no different. We will continue defending the President’s project in court in the coming weeks.’

On Monday, the Trump administration argued in a court filing that pausing construction would undermine national security, citing a Secret Service declaration warning that halting work would leave the site unable to meet ‘safety and security requirements’ necessary to protect President Donald Trump.

The declaration said the East Wing, demolished in October and now undergoing below-grade work, could not be left unfinished without compromising essential security measures.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation sued last week to stop the project, arguing the government had to follow federal review procedures before any irreversible work began.

The group said the proposed 90,000-square-foot addition, now estimated at more than $300 million, would overwhelm the Executive Residence and permanently alter the White House’s historic design.

The administration countered that the lawsuit was premature, noting regulatory reviews were still coming and above-grade construction was not scheduled to begin until April 2026.

The National Trust said early intervention was necessary, citing warnings from architectural historians who said the ballroom would mark the most significant exterior change to the White House in more than 80 years.

Fox News Digital’s Ashley Carnahan contributed to this report.

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS

0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
Senate Republican ‘targeted by Communist China’ in $50 billion lawsuit
next post
Graham issues ‘fatal’ warning if Maduro stays in power as US buildup raises stakes

Related Posts

Return to Reality: The Economy is Pivoting Amid...

February 20, 2026

No, First-Time Homebuyers Aren’t All 40 Now

February 20, 2026

Rents, AI, and Commodity Prices: What Drove State-Level...

February 20, 2026

Rick Scott says Prince Andrew ‘absolutely’ must face...

February 20, 2026

Trump White House ballroom proposal gets approval by...

February 20, 2026

Built for weeks of war: Inside the firepower...

February 20, 2026

Trump jokes about Nobel Prize at inaugural Board...

February 20, 2026

Cambodian PM says Thai forces occupying disputed land...

February 20, 2026

Trump says Iran has 15 days to reach...

February 20, 2026

UK blocks Trump from using RAF air bases...

February 20, 2026

Stay updated with the latest news, exclusive offers, and special promotions. Sign up now and be the first to know! As a member, you'll receive curated content, insider tips, and invitations to exclusive events. Don't miss out on being part of something special.

By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

Recent Posts

  • Return to Reality: The Economy is Pivoting Amid Digital Overload

    February 20, 2026
  • Rents, AI, and Commodity Prices: What Drove State-Level Growth in 2024?

    February 20, 2026
  • No, First-Time Homebuyers Aren’t All 40 Now

    February 20, 2026
  • Aeris Integrates with Palo Alto Networks to Secure Wireless IoT Blind Spot

    February 20, 2026
  • Trump White House ballroom proposal gets approval by Commission of Fine Arts

    February 20, 2026
  • Rick Scott says Prince Andrew ‘absolutely’ must face US trial in Epstein case if American laws were broken

    February 20, 2026

Editors’ Picks

  • 1

    Pop Mart reports 188% profit surge, plans aggressive global expansion

    March 26, 2025
  • 2

    New FBI leader Kash Patel tapped to run ATF as acting director

    February 23, 2025
  • 3

    Meta executives eligible for 200% salary bonus under new pay structure

    February 21, 2025
  • 4

    Anthropic’s newly released Claude 3.7 Sonnet can ‘think’ as long as the user wants before giving an answer

    February 25, 2025
  • 5

    Walmart earnings preview: What to expect before Thursday’s opening bell

    February 20, 2025
  • ‘The Value of Others’ Isn’t Especially Valuable

    April 17, 2025
  • 7

    Cramer reveals a sub-sector of technology that can withstand Trump tariffs

    March 1, 2025

Categories

  • Economy (4,208)
  • Editor's Pick (476)
  • Investing (543)
  • Stock (2,747)
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Copyright © 2025 Portfolioperformancetoday.com All Rights Reserved.

Portfolio Performance Today
  • Investing
  • Stock
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Portfolio Performance Today
  • Investing
  • Stock
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Copyright © 2025 Portfolioperformancetoday.com All Rights Reserved.

Read alsox

DOJ’s second-in-command could be central to ‘vindictive’...

December 31, 2025

Musk says Trump would have lost 2024...

June 6, 2025

Commercial Mortgage Delinquencies Now Surpass 2008 Financial...

September 17, 2025